Fike’s EPSMS (Emergency Power Shutdown Management System) is designed to consolidate and control emergency power off of equipment in a timely, efficient, and coordinated manner. This system improves the reliability of EPO controls—reducing the chance of accidental activation and interruption to your business.
EPO Controls – an asset or an accident waiting to happen?
Unfortunately, most emergency power off installations are an afterthought. The EPO is designed, installed, and tested in the field at the end of a project simply to
meet minimum code requirements. Often, construction documents do not include detailed specifications, standards of quality, wiring schematics, or desired sequence of operation. Consequently, most EPO installations end up decentralized—usually comprised of relays distributed throughout the room, under access floors, and/or above ceilings. In addition, power circuits feeding shunt-trip breakers are not identified or monitored and no maintenance bypass switch is installed that would allow an EPO condition to be locked out during routine maintenance. These installations are not easily modified or expanded and are susceptible to expensive false shut-downs.
Fike’s EPSMS addresses all the concerns of a typical EPO installation and effectively consolidates, controls, and monitors all power off circuits. In addition, the U.L. listed EPSMS improves your system’s restart time if the EPO is activated for any reason. That’s peace of mind.
What EPO controls do:
- De-energize equipment during an electrical fire
- Close fire dampers and turn off ventilation and cooling equipment to contain fire and maintain proper concentration of clean agent fire suppressant
- Safely shut-down equipment during a flood or a sprinkler system discharge
- Protect fire department personnel from electrocution when fighting a fire
Fike EPSMS features:
- Consolidates controls in one location
- Segregates the Power and HVAC shutdown within the control system
- Has single-point, maintenance by-pass switch with Lock Out feature for easy system “safe off”
- Includes thorough documentation, sequence of operation, clear signage, and drawings for the entire control system
- Includes dual action locking-type EPO switches with protective cover
- Panel includes local monitoring and display of functions
- Panel includes remote monitoring capabilities
- Power to the EPSMS system can be monitored by the fire control panel as required by NFPA 75
- Can be easily modified and expanded
- Dual activation switch with protective guard, reduces false activation
- Remote relays that allow for time/date stamp monitoring for easy activation diagnostics
- Protected by U.S. patent, granted on March 4, 2008.
Locking EPO button reset mechanism that expedites the identification of an EPO cause and location
- Standard Dual Action EPO station shown with flip up safety cover and signage
Fire protection is important to your business. Finding the solutions to your fire protection needs is something we have been doing since 1990. Our customers have found that they can trust the experience, knowledge, honesty, integrity, and ethics of our team. We invite you to contact one of the members of this team to discuss how we can protect your employees’ life safety and your valuable assets for the continued operation and success of your company. Contact us or call (714) 257-2244 for a Systems and Design Consultant to assist you with your needs.